Sunday, June 6, 2010

Two of a Kind

It just so happens that two of my favorite British Interior Designers, Kelly Hoppen and Rose Uniacke, happen to have a very similar aesthetic. Both designers base their spaces around neutral colour palettes, clean lines, perfect symmetry, eclectic furniture, statement light fixtures, a variety of textures and strong, sophisticated artwork.

Common Colour Palette (always complimented with fresh greenery)

I discovered Hoppen before I left for Europe, when I purchased her, "Home: Reality to Concept" book to gain inspiration on a residential, "artist retreat" project I was working on in my studio class. Uniacke I discovered several months later when wandering down Pimlico Road in London and was lucky enough to actually stop in at her showroom, which was absolutely breathtaking. I then began to wonder if London weather has an influence on Hoppen's and Uniacke's neutral colour choices, especially when both seem to often use glimpses of yellow accents (which could represent the rare UK sunshine). Nonetheless, both Hoppen and Uniacke's work is absolutely brilliant and always is a wonderuful source of inspiration to me, especially in times where I need to remind myself less is more.


LIVABLE LIVING ROOMS

Kelly Hoppen, The Loft


Rose Uniacke, London Apt


GRAPHIC YELLOW PUNCHES

Kelly Hoppen

Rose Uniacke


PLACE OF RETREAT...THE BATH
Kelly Hoppen

Rose Uniacke


PERFECTLY NEUTRAL BEDROOMS

Kelly Hoppen




Rose Uniacke


ANIMAL HIDE RUGS
Kelly Hoppen

Rose Uniacke


OUTDOOR LIVING SPACES
Kelly Hoppen


Rose Uniacke's Own Home


COMMERCIAL PROJECTS

Kelly Hoppen, Rhodes W1


Rose Uniacke, Pringle Flagship Store


All Images Courtesy of Kelley Hoppen and Rose Uniacke

2 comments:

  1. Courtney...Have recently discovered your blog and have so enjoyed...Livingetc is one of my favourite magazines, so I love the British influence as well. Here comes the "six degrees of separation" part...went on Facebook to see if you had a blog page of sorts...discovered you will be a WSU grad. I am Class of 1981...majored in Communications, but have spent 25 plus years in Apparel Merchandising and Design. Even smaller world...one of the friend pics that popped up was Jenny Weis. Her Uncle Bill is one of my oldest and dearest friends and I was an Alpha Chi same as her grandmother Mary Dale. Best of luck in your adventures...you have a taste level well beyond your years and I look forward to reading your blog! Donna Fitch, Portland OR

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww thank you so much! after studying abroad i realized how small the world really is :) lots of NW love and Go Cougs!!

    ReplyDelete